Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Part 3 - Corn Hill Logging Road.

With labels on the map like ‘impassable in wet’ we were a little uneasy, but another river crossing and we were right in the thick of it. Well, more like sliding down the face of it. Slick clay, impossibly steep climbs and a huge amount of gain to make, we set about our task one step at a time…


With all of us wishing for studs, many of us had some moments. Bellie hurled his bike at one stage, frustrated at constantly slipping down a rut, Joel high sided in a rut and banged himself up whilst climbing (?) and everyone else got stopped by the clay and needed a hand up. Pretty crazy for a while, thankfully it settled down to a solid climb.






Reaching the clouds and subsequently the top, we again met Gez for some more inspiration (coke) where I sadly managed to hand out cans of coke to everyone, keep one for myself, open it and realize I’d grabbed an ‘adults only’ can of coke out… Whilst everyone else would have liked me to drink it, I traded in for a kiddy coke, and sorted myself out.

Having gained some serious elevation, the temperature was dropping once again in the clouds, and we were heading for Mt Buller itself. The Ciruit road was a reasonably easy climb in the cloud and mist, then we turned up the final hill to Mt Buller. Where it got considerably harder! Battling up in granny ring, front wheel leaving the ground most pedal strokes, we were all consumed with destination fever! Up and up we climbed, past all the notable parts of Mt.Buller like the quarry, the septic tanks where we sucked great lungfuls of sewer smell and the construction areas (Ahh, the glamour of it all), we made it to the village square amid the pouring rain.

...to be continued.

As a side note, I've gotten the Garmin information uploaded as well, and thought I might share it with you. Have a little look at Epix #1 - 6 hours, 3600m vertical, 89km and some killer singletrack!

6 comments:

Grover said...

you say you've retired from the enduro team which was 2-3 hours riding in a day, maybe 1500m vertical gain. and then proceed to epix, which means 6 hours riding with 3000+ vertical metres gain. you've got the wrong idea of retirement.

ps. 120km/h, gps stuff-up or really steep hill?

Ash Thomas said...

gee, I'd go with option a on that one. I guess garmin are falible.

The retirement thing had more fundamentally to do with the training load required to be at the front of a race, more than the racing itself. This project is more about the adventure, no matter what the speed, so the long rides just go hand in hand. Fair point though.

Bellie said...

Just to set things straight. I didn't through my bike in frustration,I through it the bush off the trail so I could then follow it and continue to walk up without slipping in the mud. Wouldn't want Kona thinking I would abuse the equipment.

Randall said...

What kona doesn't hear about.....

Ash Thomas said...

sorry, my mistake, artistic licence ;)

Geez I wish I had a photo that would just suit Randall's comment to a tee...!! If only, the shot that got away...

Mak said...

Nice!! Will have to check back for more epix adventures. Nice to see what the neighbours are upto Jason!